When it comes to places that offer a high quality of life and an affordable cost of living, Jacksonville, FL is at the top of the list. It’s a great place to settle down, which is why Dream Finders Homes is thrilled to be building communities and homes in this exciting city!
Jacksonville, also known as Jax, is a vibrant city located on Florida’s northeast coast. With its stunning beaches, diverse culture, thriving job market, and friendly community, Jacksonville has everything you are looking for. In this blog post, we’ll take a closer look at what makes Jacksonville, Florida, an attractive destination for relocation and provide you with some useful insights to make your transition a smooth and enjoyable one.
Tips & What to Expect When Moving to Jacksonville, FL
With a low cost of living, strong economy, highly-ranked schools, and plentiful housing choices, more people are moving to Jacksonville, FL than ever before. Here are a few practical tips about moving to this great city.
- Jacksonville is the most populous city in Florida, but with 874 square miles to spread out, there’s room for everyone who wants to live here.
- The city of Jacksonville has nearly 500 neighborhoods (!!!) giving you plenty of locations to choose from. Luckily, they’re broken up into regions, typically divided into six sections: Downtown, Arlington, Southside, Westside, Northside, and Jacksonville Beaches.
- Due to its size, commute times in Jax can vary depending on where you live and work. Generally, residents have an average commute of around 25 minutes. Compared to other cities like Miami and Orlando, it’s about three minutes faster – and parking is usually free.
- When it comes to public transportation, the Jacksonville Transportation Authority is reliable and offers bus services, ferries, trolleys, and an elevated monorail. While the variety of services offered is fairly extensive, navigating the city’s sprawling borders may take some practice.
- If you’re a fan of bicycle transportation, Jacksonville has been adding infrastructure to improve things. The Pedestrian and Bicycle Master Plan includes steps to increase both the safety and accessibility of navigating the city by bike or foot. Jacksonville has also begun offering bike sharing, and the bus system is designed to accommodate bikes as well.
Finally, there are a few things you’ll need to do to establish your residency and become a full-fledged resident of Jacksonville:
- Voter registration: Register to vote to have a positive impact on your new community.
- Driver’s license: You’ll need a Florida driver’s license with your new address for both legal and practical reasons.
- Out-of-state vehicle registration: If you have a car, you’ll need to get a new set of Florida license plates soon after moving.
- Utilities: Make sure you have a plan to cancel, transfer, and set up new utilities quickly and efficiently.
You’ll Love Living in Jacksonville, FL!
There are so many reasons that people love living in Jacksonville. Here are just a few of our faves:
- Strong Economy and Jobs. Jacksonville is home to employers like Fidelity Investments, Aetna, Johnson & Johnson, the Mayo Clinic, a growing tech sector, a large military base, and the Jacksonville Port Authority. Job growth over the next 10 years is predicted to be over 44%, nearly 10 points over the U.S. average. Jacksonville has been rated one of the best locations for millennials to find jobs.
- Reasonable Cost of Living. Coupled with the strong economy and availability of jobs, the low cost of living compared to other major Florida metros makes Jacksonville a standout option in the state. The city is about 11% less expensive than Orlando, and nearly 32% less expensive than Miami, yet offers world-class amenities, beautiful beaches, great weather, and more. While healthcare and groceries costs are lower than both the national and state averages, it’s Jax’s affordable housing that’s a big draw.
- Affordable Housing Options. There are so many housing options in Jacksonville. Whether you’re looking for single-family homes in an amenity-rich community, luxury gated townhomes, estate-style living, homes near downtown or in leafy suburbs, there’s a home for you. With costs well below the national average, people relocating from other metros will find that their dollar stretches further and they are able to buy a home for much less. Dream Finders Homes offers new homes in Jacksonville in communities to fit every budget and lifestyle.
- The Location. Another major benefit for residents is Jacksonville’s setting. Located in Northern Florida just south of the Georgia border, the city offers easy access to many of the South’s major hubs — like Orlando, Savannah, Hilton Head, Charleston, and Atlanta. Jacksonville has beautiful weather, too. During the summer, there’s a steady ocean breeze that keeps the air from feeling muggy. The rest of the year is extremely mild, with winter highs topping out in the mid-60s. People relocating from northern states appreciate the “endless summer,” while those coming from deeper south enjoy the relative coolness of fall and winter.
- Outdoor Activities. Jacksonvillians enjoy a wide array of outdoor activities. Of course, the #1 activity to enjoy outside is the beach! Jacksonville boasts 22 miles of wide, sandy beaches that are perfect for surfing, kayaking, paddleboarding, swimming, diving, boating, fishing and exploring its coastal shores. There are also 1,110 miles of navigable water, the Intracoastal Waterway, and the St. Johns River. There’s no shortage of places to explore and experience on the water. Jacksonville is also a major golfing destination, with 70 courses throughout the area.
- Top-Rated Schools. For those with school-aged children, Jacksonville offers one of the highest concentrations of top-ranked public schools in Florida. There are dozens of excellent schools to choose from, and two of its public high schools consistently rank among the highest performing in the entire country. There are also many private schools in the area, giving parents a wide and varied choice about making sure their kids get the best academic head start possible.
- Activities and Entertainment. Jacksonville is the 12th most populous city in the United States, so there are plenty of activities to keep residents busy and entertained! From the modern Jacksonville Center for the Performing Arts to the historic Ritz theater and museum, Jacksonville’s cultural landscape is varied and cultivated. The city hosts major festivals that attract thousands, including the Jacksonville Jazz Festival. There are art walks, markets, and museums spread across town, along with big family attractions like the Jacksonville Zoo and the Arboretum and Botanical Gardens. Sports lovers can catch a game for the Jaguars (NFL), the Jumbo Shrimp (Minor League Baseball), and the Icemen (ECHL), among others.
Contact Dream Finders Today for the Best Homes for Sale!
Jacksonville offers a world of opportunities and an exceptional quality of life. Whether you’re seeking a relaxed beach lifestyle, exciting career prospects, or a tight-knit community, Jacksonville has it all. Embrace the sunshine, soak up the Southern charm, and get ready for an unforgettable experience in the Bold New City of the South.
If you’re interested in relocating to Jacksonville, FL, Dream Finders Homes builds new homes throughout Jacksonville in amenity-rich communities in desirable locations. Contact us for relocation tips and to learn about the benefits of buying new and living in Jacksonville, FL.