What Is The Home Buying Process Like in Savannah, GA?
Once you’ve made the decision to buy a new home, you’ll embark on an adventure unlike any other. The process includes many different steps and can take some time, but in the end, it’s one of the most rewarding things you’ll do. Dream Finders Homes is happy to be a part of that experience, and has experience helping many buyers like you through the home buying process. We build homes in over 20 markets across the nation, including the Savannah, GA area, so we know exactly what to look for and add to your home buying checklist. Let’s take a look at what you can expect when you’re ready to move forward in the home buying process.
The Home Buying Timeline
1. Have A ConsultationAt the beginning of your home buying journey, it’s important to discuss with professionals the different steps included in the home buying timeline. It’s a great way to prepare you and set expectations for what’s to come. Even if you’ve purchased a home before, consider checking in with a Realtor or your home builder to discuss things like the current housing market, the loan approval process and recommended lenders, the home search process, and your home needs.
2. Get Pre-ApprovedIf you already have a budget in mind, getting a pre-approval letter from a lender like Jet HomeLoans will give you an even better idea of what you can afford. It’s a way to show the seller or builder that you are serious about buying a home and can afford the homes you’re shopping for. Getting pre-approved will also help determine what type of loan and programs are right for you.
3. Time to Shop HomesThis is the fun part! You can now confidently shop and tour homes you’re interested in. Keep a list of must-haves so you don’t waste time looking at homes that don’t have what you need. Consulting with your Realtor or Sales Specialist throughout the search can help you feel like you’re making the right choices since they’ll know what areas and homes to look at. Being open and honest about your wants and needs is key, and will help you find the right home faster.
4. Find Your Home & Make A DepositOnce you’ve selected the home you want, you’ll have to put a deposit down (often called an escrow or earnest money deposit). This is usually 1% of the purchase price and is another way to prove you are serious about buying this particular home. Think of it as a way to lock it in as yours and let other interested buyers know it’s no longer available.
5. Complete A Home Inspection & AppraisalEvery home buying checklist should include an inspection and appraisal. The inspection is technically optional, however, it’s an important step in the home buying process because it reveals issues with the home (ie. plumbing, HVAC, roof, and other standard home systems). The appraisal ensures the home is valued at the price it’s truly worth, letting you know whether what you’re paying is a good investment.
6. Final Loan Approval & WalkthroughYour loan isn’t officially approved until closer to the end of the home buying process. From your initial pre-approval through to the end, your loan officer is working to ensure you get fully approved for the loan so you can close without worry. Before closing, you’ll want to ask for one final walkthrough of the home to make sure it’s in the condition you’ve been promised (ie. any issues found during the inspection are fixed.)
7. ClosingThis is it! It’s time to finalize everything for your new home including paying the closing costs/fees, signing final documents, and getting the keys. Congratulations! Many of these items also pertain to buying a home in Georgia, but there are a couple of things you’ll want to keep in mind. One is to figure out exactly where you want to live to determine your budget. Each county will have different borrowing limits if you’re choosing an FHA loan type (one of the most common loan types), Georgia offers varying loan programs that could make a difference in finding the best options for you based on your budget. When buying a home in Georgia, you’ll want to understand the housing market where you live and common problems in the area. New homes in Savannah, GA are a top choice for many due to all of the positive qualities of living there. Aside from its rich history and culture, natural beauty, and entertainment, Savannah’s cost of living, housing market, and job market have continued to grow. The demand for housing in the Savannah area has caused the prices to be increase, however, that means the appreciation rates are steadily increasing meaning your home will be more valuable over time. The cost of living in Savannah is lower than the national average and significantly less expensive than other big cities in Georgia.
The common problems of buying a home in Savannah really apply to all of Georgia and are small things to look out for. Because of the hot, humid summers, homes are more likely to get bugs like termites and have a cracked plumbing vent boot on roofs. This is why getting an inspection as well as a termite bond on your home are important parts of the process and homeownership. Flooding is something else to think about. Savannah is at risk for flooding, but it’s worse if you live at the bottom of a hill or your home isn’t built with flood damage-resistant materials. It’s worth investigating these small issues before choosing your new home here.
For New Homes in Savannah, GA, Dream Finders Has You Covered!Any of our new homes in Savannah, GA will be sure to check all of your boxes, and we have a dedicated team of experts here to help you with every step throughout the home buying timeline.
We currently have 6 new home communities available in the Savannah area, each with southern charm and a vibrancy to match the vibe of the area it's in. There are countless options to suit every lifestyle and budget. Whether you are looking for a family-friendly neighborhood or a peaceful retreat, we have the perfect new home for you. With a mix of both casual and fine dining restaurants, coffee shops, and eclectic boutique shops, our communities are located in areas where you can enjoy a range of experiences. From the townhomes, villas, and estate single family homes in our Savannah Quarters communities to the picturesque setting of our upcoming Meadow Lakes community, they are perfectly placed in convenient locations with tons of amenities and excellent home features and options. Check out our available communities below, and let us know if anything catches your eye. We’d love to answer any questions you have. Meadow Lakes | Savannah, GA Hidden Pointe | Savannah, GA Danbury Park Townhomes at Savannah Quarters | Pooler, GA Westbrook Golf Villas at Savannah Quarters | Pooler, GA Westbrook Grove at Savannah Quarters | Pooler, GA Magnolia Hill | Richmond Hill, GA
Contact Us Today!Dream Finders Homes is proud to build new homes in the Savannah area. They’re built to complement the natural beauty of the region. Visit one of our new home communities and see how easy it is to find a brand-new dream home that perfectly fits your needs. We are committed to providing you with exceptional customer service and high-quality homes as well as a home buying experience that exceeds expectations. Contact us today to learn more!