10 Reasons to Move to the Texas Hill Country
If you’re planning your next move, but not quite sure where to go, you’re in luck! Dream Finders Homes has years of experience building homes in the most desirable locations across the US. One state we love building in is Texas. Texas is one of the largest states in the US and is separated into 7 distinct regions. The most popular region is the Texas Hill Country, which is exactly where we’ve chosen to build our communities. You may be wondering, “Where is the Texas Hill Country?” This region encompasses a major portion of Central Texas, including the state capital Austin. There are 25 counties that are part of this region, making it the 4th largest in the state, covering 31,000 square miles of land. Dream Finders has planted roots in two of them, Williamson County, Texas, and Hays County, Texas. We always want you to have the best options when choosing where to plant YOUR roots, so without further ado, let’s dive into reasons why living in Texas Hill Country is a great choice.
What Makes Living in Texas Hill Country So Amazing?
1. The Job GrowthThere are plenty of job opportunities in the Texas Hill Country. The job market has and will continue to skyrocket with the increase in tech companies flooding major cities. Even if you’re not into the tech industry, there are many jobs in a range of fields like manufacturing, healthcare, and construction. Plus, with no personal or corporate income tax and lower property and utility costs, you may consider starting your own business in the Austin area.
2. The SchoolsThe high-quality education available is a major draw of this region. Younger students will especially find ample choices around our communities here. For example, Williamson County, Texas has 156 public schools and 49 private schools, while Hays County, Texas has 58 and 15 respectively. There is also a slew of top-tier higher education options, including Texas State University (San Marcos), University of Texas (Austin), and Southwestern University (Georgetown).
3. The Access to CitiesWith Texas Hill Country covering a lot of popular areas throughout Central Texas, you can easily drive to major cities from wherever you choose to live. Just think of the wide world of adventure that opens up. Check out the Art District in Dallas, the Fort Worth Zoo in Fort Worth, The Alamo in San Antonio, or the Space Center in Houston!
4. The Cost of Living
A low cost of living is just one of the amazing qualities of the region. You’ll be happy to know the counties here have the lowest tax rates, and there are property tax exemptions to help with housing costs. Our homes for sale in Texas Hill Country start in the mid $200s. Combined with the excellent amenities, low taxes and cost of living, and many job opportunities, moving here makes financial sense.
5. The Food (BBQ!)Of course, when you think of Texan food, one of the top selections is barbecue! And in the Texas Hill Country, you’ll find some of the best around. There is more to the area than barbecue though. You’ll also enjoy a range of styles and cuisines like German, Tex-Mex restaurants, bakeries, distilleries, and breweries, typically locally sourced and/or grown due to the region's fertile land.
6. The FestivalsThere are so many events and festivals in this region that you’ll never be bored. At least once a month, there’s a celebration to fit your likes and lifestyle.
- January - New Braunfels Antique Show (antiques)
- February - Taste of Town (New Braunfels’ finest restaurants)
- March - South by Southwest (SXSW) Events (hosts a variety of events)
- April - The EmilyAnn Theatre Season (over 4,000 butterflies showcased)
- May - Memorial Weekend Rodeo (rodeo show)
- June - Blanco Lavender Festival (music, food, lavender, and more)
- July - Independence Day Spectacular (4th of July celebration in Liberty Hill)
- August - The Peddler Show (shopping tour of small businesses)
- September - Mermaid Capital of Texas Festival (parade and fair)
- October - Formula 1 Racing (annual motorsports event)
- November - Annual Paella Cook-Off (Latin cooking competition and dancing)
- December - Taylor Swirl (holiday season kick-off)
7. The Wine CountryAside from the delectable food, the Texas Hill Country offers the best wineries. There are over 50 unique wineries across the region, showcasing a variety of winemaking styles and flavors. No matter where you go, you’ll experience quality blends, superb hospitality, and events for wine lovers of all kinds. A top choice is Farmhouse Vineyards in Johnson City!
8. The Nature & WaterfrontsNatural beauty surrounds this region, and with over a dozen state parks, you won’t miss the chance to experience it. From limestone ledges to flowing rivers and beautiful foliage and trees, you’ll feel like you’re in another world. One main waterfront you can’t miss is Lake Travis. This reservoir on the Colorado River is a sight to see and offers a huge variety of activities and events.
9. The Outdoors & RecreationThanks to the year-round warmer weather in Central Texas, nothing stands in the way of outdoor enthusiasts wanting to experience every kind of outdoor activity. Almost any activity you can think of can be enjoyed in Texas Hill Country, from hiking and horseback riding to camping and bird watching to fishing and boating and so much more!
10. The Sense of CommunitySouthern charm and hospitality can be found all around this region, and when it comes to finding a well-established, welcoming community, Dream Finders Homes has you covered. We currently have 3 incredible communities each with qualities matching the highlights of living in this region. Explore 575 acres of prime riverfront land at Blanco Vista in San Marcos, connect with nature and neighbors in the boutique Castlewood community in Taylor, or enjoy endless fun at the variety of resort-style amenities in Orchard Ridge in Liberty Hill. Either way, you’ll feel part of a close-knit community with a home option that suits your needs and has a lifestyle you’ll love.
Contact Us for More Info on our Homes for Sale in Texas!Don’t wait another minute! We have many homes for sale in the Texas Hill Country. They come in a range of styles with open-concept floor plans and an extraordinary level of personalization. If you just can’t wait to move here, we have quick move-in homes with a variety of completion dates. Be sure to contact us to learn more and ask any questions about the homes and communities we offer in Texas.