One of the most exciting times in your life can be deciding to buy a new construction home. Here at Dream Finders Homes, we know that choosing the right floor plan depends on how you use your home and how it fits with your lifestyle. From the size and shape, to where the rooms are located in relation to each other, every part of the home can affect your living experience, so knowing what you really want is crucial.
5 Tips to Choose a New Home Floor Plan
1) Figure out what size home will best suit your needs.
Choosing a floor plan should start with how you envision living in your new home, what type of layout works best, and how you would use each space. Though important, square footage should be your secondary consideration. How many sleeping spaces do you need? Could a guest room double as an office or home gym if it won’t be used often? Do you need a certain amount of storage space? Think about the space you wish you had (or don’t need) now and prioritize your most important needs.
2) Choose a floorplan based on your lifestyle.
Every family has their own style, so choosing a floorplan that meets your needs is essential. Do you work from home and need an office? Do the kids need a rec room? Do you prefer to exercise at home, rather than the gym? How about a multi-purpose, flex space that can change as your family grows? Think about the space you need to be comfortable based on your daily activities.
3) Trust your instincts on what “feels” right when choosing a floorplan.
All of us know when a space feels comfortable. Take these instincts into consideration when looking at different floorplans. For example, someone with children may want the primary bedroom up with the other bedrooms. Others may prefer for the primary bedroom to be downstairs, separated for quiet and privacy.
4) Be honest about your needs and lifestyle.
Preferred features in a home differ depending on what stage of life you are in. Before choosing a home design, ask yourself:
- Is your family situation changing, either growing or shrinking?
- Will you need guest rooms for overnight visitors?
- What about additional living space for visiting parents or grandchildren?
- Are you approaching retirement? Should you choose a plan that’s great for aging in place?
- How do you entertain? Do you want formal spaces or more relaxed gathering rooms?
- Do you travel frequently and need a lock-and-leave lifestyle?
5) Don’t forget workspace considerations.
Are you working from home more these days, or even full-time? Do you have any hobbies or special interests that might require special rooms to enjoy them? Do you need lots of attic or storage space to store your treasures?
Answering these questions honestly will ensure that you choose the right floor plan for your lifestyle now and into the future. For inspiration, you can sort through Dream Finders Homes’ floor plans by market:
- Northern Virginia
- Myrtle Beach
If you need help narrowing it down, just contact us!