6 Reasons to Love Living in St. Augustine, FL
From its historic, otherworldly charm to its close proximity to a modern and bustling city, St. Augustine, FL is a top destination for many people considering moving to Florida. Enjoy the best weather, beaches, art, and culture in a city with vast employment opportunities and excellent schools. Here are six reasons people love living in St. Augustine:
1) History & Charm St. Augustine is the oldest continuously inhabited city in the United States, having been founded in 1565 by Spanish explorers. Over the centuries the city changed hands from Spanish to British rule, finally becoming part of the United States in 1821. Those centuries of unique history are represented in the architecture, relics, museums, and people of the area. If you are looking for a town with undeniable culture and an eclectic energy all its own, you'll love living in St. Augustine.
2) Beaches & Recreation Located on the Atlantic coast of Florida, St. Augustine boasts 42 miles of beautiful beaches that range from fine sand to thrilling surf. Whether you love to fish, surf, boogie board, kayak, sail, or simply sit still with the salty breeze at your back, there's a beach for everyone. Though beach going is probably the most popular outdoor activity, there's tons more to do in St. Augustine. Hiking, biking, horseback riding and camping are all welcome in the many national parks, there are numerous playgrounds, dog parks, and skate parks for the whole family to enjoy, and golf enthusiasts take advantage of Florida’s year-round beautiful weather with more than 15 courses in the area. If it's an activity that happens outside, you'll find it in St. Augustine.
3) Great Schools The "A" rated schools of St. Johns County School District are a big draw for those considering relocating to the Jacksonville metro area, and additional school buildings are planned for the upcoming years to accommodate the county's growing population. There are also a number of excellent private schools, giving parents a variety of options to give their children the best head start possible.
4) Anastasia Island Anastasia Island, a barrier island off of the Atlantic coast just east of St. Augustine, is considered part of the city, but offers an even more unique living experience. Just one mile wide and 14 miles long, this tranquil island has some of the best beaches in the state. There are many things to do and places to explore, including the St. Augustine Lighthouse, Coquina Quarry, and St. Augustine Alligator Farm. There are also restaurants and eateries to satisfy any taste. It's also possible to live on Anastasia Island, with Dream Finders Homes' Antiqua being the only new construction community on the island.
5) Art & Culture Many small Florida towns have tremendous art scenes, and St. Augustine is no different. Spend the first Friday of each month in Plaza de la Constitution in historic downtown and on Anastasia Island, when more than 30 renowned art galleries open their doors for visitors to browse their latest exhibits. Enjoy refreshments, live music, great company, and all types of art ranging from photography to hand crafted gifts. Finish off the evening at one of downtown St. Augustine's fine restaurants, pubs, or cafes. The "Ancient City," as it is sometimes called, is also home to an eclectic live music scene, where you can find local artists performing just about every genre of music.
6) Proximity to Jacksonville St. Augustine is in the Jacksonville metro area, and many people don't realize that commuting between the two cities is actually quite common. For that reason, many people seeking both a thriving career and peaceful home life are drawn to buy homes in the St. Augustine area. Driven by the industries of healthcare, finance, retail, education, and transportation, among others, job growth in Jacksonville is projected to exceed the national average over the next 10 years. Jacksonville is also a major sports and entertainment destination, with local fans throwing their support to the Jaguars (NFL), the Jumbo Shrimp (MiLB), the Sharks (NAL), and more exciting teams.
If you’re interested in living in St. Augustine or on Anastasia Island, connect with us to learn about the amenity-rich, new home communities and immediate availability from Dream Finders Homes. We can’t wait to welcome you home!