If you could dream up a permanent vacation, where would it be? Perhaps somewhere with year-round moderate temperatures, so that you can enjoy the outdoors whenever you’d like. Maybe the cost of living and taxes are low in that special place, so you can save more of your hard-earned dollars. Of course, it should be somewhere with beautiful scenery, and close enough to the ocean to hit the beach whenever you want. Such a place exists, and it’s called Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
Myrtle Beach checks all the boxes for the perfect place to retire… and people are taking notice. In 2023, U.S. News & World Report ranked Myrtle Beach as the #1 Best Place to Retire in South Carolina! Let’s explore some of the reasons that people love to retire in Myrtle Beach!
Why Myrtle Beach Is Perfect For Retiring in South Carolina
- Affordability. Myrtle Beach is a popular retirement zone because of its affordability. In addition to the cost of living being below the national average, one of the many reasons Myrtle Beach is a hot spot is its friendliness when it comes to retirement income taxes. In fact, South Carolina is one of the most tax-friendly states in the entire country. SC does not tax Social Security benefits. A $15,000 income tax deduction is available to SC residents over the age of 65. It is applicable to all forms of retirement income, including 401(k) plans, IRAs, and pension plans. South Carolina has one of the lowest effective property tax rates in the country. In addition, seniors who’ve lived in the state for over a year can benefit from a “homestead exemption,” which exempts them from property taxes on the first $50,000 of their home’s value. It’s no surprise that people who want to live at an affordable price are retiring in South Carolina.
- Mild weather. Myrtle Beach enjoys some of the best weather in the continental United States. (200+ days of sunshine on average!) Its setting along the Atlantic Ocean means weather is generally hot and humid during the summer, but generally mild during the winter. The temperature rarely drops below 40 degrees, and snow is extremely rare. It may go below freezing, but usually just for a few hours. Myrtle Beach weather is year-round golf weather! Golfers are frequently able to enjoy rounds during the winter when daytime highs average between 57 and 61 degrees. Mild winters and the absence of hazardous winter driving are a big plus. Local city officials and news outlets notify residents well in advance if there’s a chance of a major storm.
- Award-winning golf courses. Myrtle Beach, often known as the “Golf Capital of the World”, offers over 100 courses! The quality and variety of golf courses in Myrtle Beach is unrivaled. This coastal community provides ample opportunities for golfers of all ability levels. Most of the courses are public and don’t require membership, but retirees looking for private or semi-private courses will find those options available. The Dunes Club, Pine Lakes, and Surf Golf and Beach Club are some of the most popular private golf courses in the area. Among the many golf courses open to the public are Barefoot and Brunswick Plantation.
- Excellent health care. With a significant retired population enjoying life along its shores, top-notch health care is obviously a priority in Myrtle Beach. This area has award-winning medical centers that use some of the best technology and treatments available. The Myrtle Beach area also offers a wealth of in-home health services, transportation assistance services and so much more. There are three premier healthcare systems, Tidelands Health System, McLeod Health, and Grand Strand Health, with many locations that bring convenience and peace of mind to residents.
- The Beaches! Every year, Myrtle Beach’s scenic shorelines draw hundreds of thousands of visitors. The Grand Strand, the 60-mile stretch of beaches that spans the South Carolina coast, has something for everyone, whether you’re looking for a quiet spot to relax or a place to frolic in the sun. Myrtle Beach has numerous beaches that offer stunning views, outstanding fishing, and family fun. The Grand Strand is consistently ranked as one of the best stretches of beaches in the world.
The Best Homes for Sale in Myrtle Beach, SC!
Your newfound freedom means the options are limitless, so why not choose a location that’s affordable, has great weather, active recreational options, and more? Dream Finders builds communities with high-quality, low-maintenance homes in convenient locations that are perfect to retire in. Check out our featured Myrtle Beach communities!
Spring Oaks, our newest community in Conway, SC, is conveniently located minutes from everything. You’ll love exploring historic downtown Conway. With its picturesque streets, unique shops, and charming restaurants, Conway has something for everyone. Myrtle Beach is just a 30-minute drive. Spring Oaks offers a selection of six unique single-family homes with 2-4 bedrooms, and a 2-car garage. Spring Oaks offers 1- and 2-story homes, ranging from 1,604 to 2,408 square feet. The community has low monthly HOA dues, making it an excellent choice for those seeking an affordable lifestyle. With a range of amenities and attractions nearby, there is never a dull moment at Spring Oaks. Pricing starts at $273,900.
Our newest low-maintenance townhome community is Villas at Sandridge, located in Little River, SC. Set near the coast of South Carolina, residents can easily access beautiful beaches, waterways, and natural areas, as well as SC highways 22, 17, and 31. Outdoor enthusiasts will enjoy activities like boating, fishing, and hiking. Myrtle Beach is just a 30-minute drive down the coast. The Villas at Sandridge townhome community has three unique 2-story townhomes to choose from, with 3-4 bedrooms, a first-floor owner’s suite, a covered porch, a 1-car garage, and up to 1,874 square feet of living space! Pricing starts at $288,900.
If golf is your raison d’etre, our homes at Shaftesbury are just the ticket. A new phase is coming soon to this premier golf course community. Shaftesbury’s residents enjoy free greens fees for life, allowing access to the 18-hole golf course, driving range, and pro shop. Other community amenities include a swimming pool, clubhouse, grill, and day dock on the Waccamaw River. Shaftesbury enjoys a convenient location, within a 15-mile radius from the Atlantic beaches of the Grand Strand. Residents easily explore downtown Conway, Little River, and Myrtle Beach. Nestled amidst wooded and water-view homesites, our offerings at Shaftesbury will include 1- and 2-story designs, ranging from 1,265 to 2,433 square feet. With ample space for families of all sizes, our 8 designs will have 2-5 bedrooms, and 1- or 2-car garages. Pricing starts at $256,900.
If you are looking for a home that is central to everything and offers a vacation-esque lifestyle, then you’ve found it at Rivertown Landing in Conway, SC! Myrtle Beach is a short drive, so spending time relaxing at the beach will be a go-to pastime. Rivertown Landing offers easy access to downtown Conway. Graced with old live oak trees and the Waccamaw River, Conway is the perfect setting. One of the oldest South Carolina towns, Conaway’s downtown area has been restored with shops and bistros and the Riverwalk, an area of restaurants along the Waccamaw. Rivertown Landing will feature single family 1- and 2-story designs ranging from 1,265 to 2,433 square feet, with 2-5 bedrooms, and a 2-car garage. Pricing starts at $230,900. Join the VIP LIST to learn more!
Contact Us Today!
We believe Myrtle Beach is one of the best places to retire in South Carolina for all the reasons mentioned above, plus more! If you are thinking of making the move, visit our communities in Myrtle Beach and we’d be happy to show you around our great city!